March Featured Photographer: Rupa Sutton

Monday, March 10, 2014



We would love to welcome our Featured photographer for March!! Rupa Sutton! We are just blown away by her ability to make light come from anywhere. Her beautiful use of light is apparent in everything she does! So lets give her a warm welcome! Hi Rupa! Lets learn a few things about you and your Journey.



1. What drives your passion for photography?


I've always had a strong desire to create.  For a good part of my life, I liked to draw and paint and went on to get a degree in Fine Art.  Later, I got into quilting, sewing, knitting and crochet.  I enjoyed them all but never felt as satisfied as I feel with photography.  Through the camera and editing, I’m able not only to fulfill that need to create, but also to share my work with others.  Feedback on your work is essential to your growth.  And when I'm able to achieve my vision (okay, maybe just get close) and my image actually evokes emotion in someone, it’s just amazing to me and makes my heart happy.





2. We love dynamic lighting, have you found a place around your home that has amazing light that you just love?

My house is fairly dark and can be challenging to shoot in.  My favorite light is in the breakfast room.  One wall has three windows, while the adjacent wall is a sliding glass door.  By adjusting the blinds, I can really play with having the light flood in or I can create a more directional light.  While not technically my “home,” the barn where I board my horse is my second home.  The barn light streaming into the stalls is my all time favorite.  I’m obsessed with it!


3. Any tips on how to look for light around you?

I would say start observing and noticing constantly the light everywhere you go. Notice what it’s doing, and how it’s affecting the objects it hits.  Try to look at the light at different times of day and notice the color, how harsh or soft it is, how it creates shadow.  Be obsessive about seeing.  Think about the mood you want to create and what type of light would best convey that. Then take lots of pictures and experiment!


4. Best advice you have received about the use of light?

I think the advice that helped me most was to look not only for the light, but also at what is happening in the shadows.  This really helped me get away from flat lighting and to experiment with more dynamic light.  I want to do more with this going forward.


5. What are you goals for the future with your photography journey?

I'm still in the process of discovering what it is I want to do with my photography.  I want to learn more of photoshop (it's endless!) and I’m excited to continue experimenting and developing my style.  I’m very interested in exploring the fine art and editorial side of photography.  I recently had the opportunity to put together an editorial style shoot for Mustard Pie Clothing. It was a lot of planning and work but I loved seeing it come together and had a great time! I also just opened an Etsy store to sell prints.  It's a wonderful feeling when someone chooses to make my work a part of their lives.  I want to continue creating new images to share and add to my shop. There are so many possibilities for the future and I’m excited to see where this year leads me!   



Rupa you just blow us away! Thank you for allowing us  to pick your brain! 

3 comments :

  1. The photos are just stunning.... no words... just breathtaking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jodi took the words right out of my mouth - absolutely gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love seeing these pictures all in the same post....beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi pixel perfect web designs