May 2014 Featured Photographer | Michelle L Morris Photography

Tuesday, May 6, 2014


We are super excited and honored to have Michelle of Michelle L Morris Photography as this months featured photographer and our guest judge for the week.  Michelle's work is simply amazing.  Her use of light and movement come together in such a beautiful way...creating gorgeous, fine art images that are captivating and emotive.  She is also a wonderful person with a huge heart and a desire to use her gift for "the greater good."  Love her!






What drives your passion for photography?
My spiritual purpose. I’m a woman in consistent search of myself. Why I am here.... what my “bigger” picture is.... why I was gifted with the husband and kids I have been entrusted with.... why have I been blessed with the gift of photography?! These are questions I ask myself, at least, daily. I’m a super reflective person and I believe, wholeheartedly, that my gift in photography serves a larger purpose than just myself or my family. My passion, the daily drive for me, is figuring out what that is and why I am here. How am I called to use this talent for the greater good?





Do you have a place around your home that has amazing light that you just love?
We live in Savannah, GA and are sincerely blessed with a beautiful + traditional country home. We have interior exposed brick and windows galore. I often have to pinch myself... it’s a momographer’s dream. The sun sets in our back yard and I never tire of photographing my boys behind the house as the sun dumps into the sky. Our previous home in Orlando challenged me a lot more with “finding the light” - but I’ve enjoyed the grace my new house provides.






Do you have any tips on finding the light that you would like to share?
My initial thought on “finding the light” is truly searching within your soul. You have to genuinely feel it. You’ve got to be able to see and experience light like a confident artist. Like a person who covets the glow, the warmth, the shine. You have to really want it to come through in your imagery. If you desire all of that within your soul, your “logistical” self will naturally find/gravitate towards it. I always look for light lines or light pockets (on the ground/floor). I have my subjects face away from the sun line/pocket and I shoot into the light. I find myself tossing half of the images with direct sunlight (not keeping them in the final cull), but persistence will ensure that you nail the shot - at least eventually.





What is the best advice that you have received about the use of light?
I need to do better about seeking advice. The photography community is a fantastic source of inspiration. I’ve never taken a course or a workshop, so I don’t have fabulous advice to “pass” along. However, my own best advice on finding on the light is just yielding to your gut. Your own heart and soul as you search for “light”. Think less about rules and more about spirit and instinct. The use of light is certainly an evolving process. 





What are your goals for the future with your photography journey?
My initial goal is to continue to bless my family with the keepsake + financial provision this gift has provided. We have incredible memories frozen in time (of our 3 boys) and we have financial blessings because others have trusted me. I am so grateful. Again, I have to pinch myself. My new goal for 2014, however, is to provide for my family with my new “for photographers” store. I want to shoot less and create a new revenue stream through my tools created for other photographers. I  will be homeschooling 2 of my 3 boys this August.  I need to ensure success for me and my family and I'm hoping and praying that my new "for photographers" store does that for me...for us.  Of course my goals for the future also include getting better, substantially growing, evolving and trusting my gut more and more as an artist.  AND, reminding myself that I am, in fact, an artist.  






You can see more of Michelle's gorgeous work by visiting her website or Facebook page.  She also has awesome templates, actions, and e-books available in her store.  Michelle has chosen the theme heart + soul for this weeks challenge.  We are so excited to see all of your amazing interpretations. xo



No comments :

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi pixel perfect web designs